Saturday, March 25, 2017

The Texana


Our family has a ranch.  It is called The Texana.  Not for cattle, but for deer and exotics.  It is a lot of work but it is my husband's and in-law's go to place for doing what they love.  They hunt, care for the animals, and take care of the land.  I am not a huge hunter, I could take it or leave it; but I love that land.  The Texana has a hill on it, the highest point, where the electric towers stand.  We call it Tower Hill and the view from the top is phenomenal, especially for a sunset view.  I love The Texana but specifically this spot. I ride the 4-wheeler up about 20 minutes before sunset.  I read scripture and listen to some hymns. It is a blessing to have a place like this & I share it only with a handful of people.
 I have gone there for 21 years, every night I am there, without fail, even in the rain.  But although each person in our family has a reason for loving The Texana, my reason is because it reminds me of God.  If I am setting in the house looking down at the pond, laying in bed listening to the wind blow in the trees, or riding a 4 wheeler I am always reminded of The Lord.  I think it is here that I see his and feel mercies. 

Colossians 1:6 For by him all things were created, in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities—all things were created through him and for him.

See, not only did he FREELY give his only Son for our sins, but he gave us tiny reminders every day if we will stop and look and listen.  Last weekend we were able to go to the ranch.  (Brush needed to be cleaned up, fences fixed, feeders fed, and the house cleaned a little) But in between all of that I took time to to just be with Him, even on a 4-wheeler.
Here is what I mean:
He reminded me of his love in small ways and even my life without him.  I was driving down this part of the ranch and I noticed, after 20 years, (sometimes I am slow) that when I stay on the road it is green, and soft, and there are no thorns.  However, if I stray even by a little there are rocks and cactus, flat tires and maybe even a snake.  Isn't that just like my life every day?  I should notice this even away from The Texana! I need to listen more...

Matthew 7:13-4 says “Enter by the narrow gate. For the gate is wide and the way is easy that leads to destruction, and those who enter by it are many. For the gate is narrow and the way is hard that leads to life, and those who find it are few".  

Psalm 119:105 says " Your word is a lamp to my feet 
and a light to my path" 

Life is hard enough, and it is not going to get any easier.  God wanted it to be, but he graciously gave us free will, and we messed that up.  People always want to know, "if God is love then why____  or if God is good then why would he_____"   He created it perfect with a rule or two, he allowed us free will of our own lives and we broke those rules.
Rules have consequences, easy as that!  We live in consequences even today.  

But he gave us a way to return to that perfection when he created Heaven.

 John 14:6 "Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me." (and that is a free gift of grace)

 Proverbs 3:6 "In all your ways acknowledge him, 
and he will make straight your paths." (that is reality for me)

There will be a few thorns even in the beauty, but give me a few beautiful thorns with Jesus;
and let the world keep all the ugly, difficult, hateful, sad rest. 

John 16:33
I have said these things to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation. 

But take heart; I have overcome the world.” 

Lord, help me to keep my eyes on you and 
my feet on the path you desire for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment