Sunday, March 26, 2017

The Opposite Direction of Greed

In 1849 when the middle of America was yet to be developed, the pull to cross this sometimes wasteland was greed.  Gold was discovered in California a year before at a place called Sutter's Mill.  Sometimes these companies would travel 50+ miles, in a day, across nothing but sagebrush and water that was polluted with alkaline that was deadly to their oxen, and they had nothing to drink.  Dead animals, broken wagons and more dotted the landscape all along the way.

 In July some of the companies of men crossed the Continental Divide at South Path, through the Rockies. But the desserts and the Sierra Nevada still laid ahead.  If you know your history, you may have heard of the Donner Party.  They tried to take a short cut and were trapped by the winter snows.  Half of them died and the others survived only by eating those who had passed.  GAG! 

Because there were no roads or signs or maps of the area as of yet, often times wagon companies and other travelers would come to a cross roads where previous party had left notes.  These notes would say things like, "The Gregg Family took West Cutoff", or "The Jones family took the Southwest Route".   Sometimes companies would argue about which way was best to go and they would split.  It was a life or death choice.  The choice could save you a matter of hours or save your life.  Mistakes could not be made in desserts, mountains, mud, boulders, broken wagons, snow, and much unknown. 

 Often times they had to travel at night to save their oxen from the heat and lack of water; and even if they made it over the Sierra Nevada Mountains they didn't see the green fields of California, they saw desolation of the pit river valley.  Can you imagine?  You are dirty, hungry, dry, and you still have more to go.  The companies I have read about did not make it until January of 1850.  People already there wrote letters (too late) to loved ones begging them to stay at home and not make the treacherous journey.

This greed not only affected the life of the pioneer, but his family left behind, the men he worked along side, and the Indians along the way even suffered.  As the pioneers traveled they brought disease to the Indians and used up their natural food sources to the point that the Indian women and children of some tribes were starving for lack of food.   Sin is never just harmful to the sinner, it is like a river that touches everything along the way.

But these men, women and sometimes children had as much faith in the fact that there were riches to be had as they had faith in God.  If you read their diaries they list the things they carried along with them and a Bible was usually one of the top items listed. See, the definition of faith is believing in what is NOT seen.  They had not seen one gold nugget and yet they risked it all.  Sometimes even their lives and the lives of their children.  

Now, faith is a great thing!  James 1:2-4 says Consider it a great joy, my brothers, whenever you experience various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces endurance. But endurance must do its complete work, so that you may be mature and complete, lacking nothing. 

I have never regretted my faith, I have waivered in it, but when it is strong I am strong! What I have regretted, and I think some of these fortune seekers did, was greed. I have never played the lottery, gambled, or done more than thought of "what would I won the lottery?"   However, I Timothy 6:9 says "But those who desire to be rich fall into temptation, into a snare, into many senseless and harmful desires that plunge people into ruin and destruction". Sound familiar? I am not saying if I were poor in 1849 and I had a chance to change that for the betterment of my family, that I wouldn't have gone to California.  Knowing me....I would have been on the first wagon. 

  1. But sometimes I measure my life by my "stuff".  I have more than I need.  
  2.  Sometimes I think about what I will acquire in the future.
  3.  Sometimes I compare my standard of living with people I know instead of the world.
  4. Often times I covet things, for myself, for my children, for my friends.  
  5.  See, greed is defined as an intense and selfish desire for something, especially wealth, power, or food.  It is a symptom I have and the cure for it is Hebrews 13:5 which says to "Keep your life free from love of money, and be content with what you have, for he has said, 'I will never leave you nor forsake you'" 
  6.  I know I have a lot, but you know what I do, I get more!  
  7. You know, we are not excessively wealthy, but we are attached to what we do have. 
  8.  I don't think I am selfish, as a family we give, as Christians we give, personally I give. But do I give enough?  Do I keep too much?  Balance in a sinful world is hard!
  9. We fight the desire to get BIGGER things.  Bigger guns, more land, bigger shoe racks (me) bigger trucks etc etc. (We do live in Texas after all)  
  10. I am working on a few things since I have hit the BIG 5-0:  giving more, buying less, downsizing, not spending because "I have it", and being THANKFUL for what God has given it to me.  No longer worrying about what I think I need....  
All this originates from my sinful nature.  Jesus lived a life completely absent of greed.  I have enough "gold" and hardly ever enough faith.  My prayer is that others look at Clint and me and never think we did not give enough or that we were greedy.  I want to come to a cross road and go the way that Jesus traveled.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment