Tuesday, March 28, 2017

Empty Nest is Awesome, Until it's Not

I cannot set here at my beautiful desk (with no scratches from toys), in my quiet home, (which is clean) and tell you "I don't know how I am going to make it without my children.  It would be a lie:  a big, ole, fat, juicy lie.  I became a mom when I was 24 and I was finished having babies by age 30. They have come and gone, and come back and gone, and come back again. We currently have one back. It is exhausting!  Especially after they have given you a taste of empty nest. (which is like confetti, angels, and unicorns with rainbow manes)

I love my kids with all my heart.  Yes, it is sad to see them go. (for about an hour)  I raised them to be independent.  They all know how to fend for themselves in almost every way.  The boys know how to cook and iron, & our daughter knows how to call a handy man.  They don't need us for every little thing and I love that.  It means I did a good job.  Do they do things the way they were taught?  Nope.  Do they make a few mistakes along the way?  Certainly.  But isn't that is how it is supposed to be? Jesus did not stay with the disciples until they felt they were ready; he left them when it was his time to go.  They obviously figured things out because look where we are today....still talking about our Jesus! 

I knew when my oldest, received a trophy for participation when he was 5 that things were going to be rough for this generation.  Some of you are going to think, "this woman is crazy and she should not be allowed to raise children" when I tell you this: I made my kids throw those trophies away.  I sure did!  We explained that trophies were given for placing 1st, 2nd and 3rd just like the Olympics; and  if you didn't get one of those places you needed to try harder next time.  The little guy holding a bat with a gold tag underneath that read: PARTICIPATION was just your ticket for an ice cream at your favorite spot at our house and nothing more. 

My son is back at home taking time off to progress his piano skills until he can apply for a music conservatory of his choice in the east.  He knows there is a time frame on this "stay", he is aware that his room has become a guest room and if he wants to be in it, he must keep it clean.  (He sleeps in the basement) He is aware that in order to receive free food he must have a job and save his money.  He is aware that if he is asked to mow or do any task we ask of him, he better do with without complaining.  Why?  Because this is our house and he is a visitor, plain and simple. He gave us a taste of empty nest and we loved it!  If you can call the police and have them remove a human from your home, it does not belong to said human!  Don't get me wrong, he is welcome, but he is not 5 and I don't have an obligation to baby him or pay for him or pat his back for doing a good job.  We don't do participation trophies in this house, we do what adults are supposed to do.  See, Focus on the Family says that there are 80 MILLION families with children back home and we would like to make that           79, 999,999. 

We have raised, clothed and fed you as a child.  We thank you for the laughs, the cute photos, the home runs and touch downs.  We loved giving you birthday and Christmas gifts as you grew.  But now: we pay for your truck, your gas, your school, & your books.  We give you a place to live, eat, study, do your wash, and and play a little.  We've got you covered if you get sick, or in a wreck, need to make a phone call or even a new clothing item.  But realize: THERE IS A TIME FRAME ON THIS!

You are no longer cute, chubby, round & soft.  You are over 6', large, hairy, eat all of our food.  We love you dearly.  We cherish this time; but you is smart, you is kind and you is important so go share it with others!  The world needs you my child.

All good things must come to an end. There were no participation trophies in this house at any point in your life; so when you are ready, let me know and we will go get that one last ice cream. But this time....stay gone!  Daddy and I have plans and they are only for TWO.

Gosh they were adorable!
 Genesis 2:24 Therefore a man shall leave his father and his mother and hold fast to his wife, and they shall become one flesh.




No comments:

Post a Comment